Sunday 2 October 2011

Love

Breathe in. Breathe out. 

Breathe in. Breathe out. 

Breathe in. Breathe out. 

I watch you sleep.

A quiet tongue-clicking noise. A flutter of lashes. A turn of head just a fraction to the left so that the light picks up the perfect lattice work of your skin. Hair tousled and slightly damp with sweat. Smooth, unlined forehead, not yet worried by life. Almond shaped eyes decorated with a curtain of curled lashes. A nose that dips away before gently sloping upwards to make a perfect button. Full lips slightly puckered, dehydrated from the air passing in and out. Smooth cheeks dotted with a collection of small freckles, nonchalantly scattered with perfect precision.

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Your throat swallows, an angel sigh. My eyes follow the line down your long neck, spreading out to a soft expanse of virgin skin on your chest. Soft as butter on top, hard as wood beneath. Sinew and lean potential-packed muscle lie at rest while your chest subtly rises and falls. Rises and falls. Your arms are splayed, fingers curled into fists as though you're fighting an unseen foe.

I lightly touch your forehead with a finger tip. Sticky, soft and warm. I lean over and breathe in the smell of you. Sleep. Soap. Little boy. I kiss the tip of your nose. It wrinkles. I long to kiss you again but don't want to wake you. 

So I just watch instead. 

Breathe in. 

Breathe out.





2 comments:

Jackie Buxton said...

This is lovely (ooops, excuse the pun!). My children are 12 and 11 but this took me right back to when they were babies. I have to admit, I still sneak a peak at them when they're asleep. I pretend it's because I'm checking they're OK before I go to bed, not too hot or cold, not needing a drink, but really it's because those feelings you have when your children are babies never really go, I don't think. Parenting issues are different now but whatever's happened during the day, I still love to see them snuggled up, peaceful and without a worry on their faces at the end of the day. Great post!

nappy valley girl said...

Lovely post. Little boys are so sweet when they are sleeping, aren't they? Before they wake up and the noise starts! x