Wednesday 28 May 2008

Eating fairies

When I was a little girl, fairies ranked pretty high on my list of favourite things. I had fairy wings (still do actually), fairy wands and I even renamed myself Princess Lulubell, Queen of the Fairies (which is why my family still call me Loo - short for Lulubell). I could see fairies in everything, like the mossy patches on forest floors where fairies have their Magical Balls, dancing the night away in tulle dresses.

Like most young children, I believed that the specks of dust floating in a ray of sunshine were actually fairies (as opposed to a consequence of lax housekeeping). So it's not suprising that my own dear, sweet children believe the same. My heart smiled when I first saw them staring in wonder at the 'fairies' dancing in the sunlight as memories of my own childhood flooded back.

But with a screeching crash-bang-wallop, that's where the similarity ends. I forgot. They are boys. Not sweet little girls.

A few days ago (back when we still had sunshine) I walked in to find the two of them sitting absolutely still, staring at the fairies dancing in the sunbeam. Then, like something out of a National Geographic documentary on bullfrogs, the two of them opened their mouths wide and snapped them shut and proceeded to chomp on something. When I asked them what in heaven's name they were doing, I was promptly told: "Eating the fairies." And without further hesitation, they returned to stalk their prey.

And now you now how the 'Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus' story all begins.

No comments: