Wednesday 14 January 2009

Chicken pox (and an award)

I must start by saying a belated thank you to That Girl? who very kindly gave me an award the other day. I'm not very au fait with blog awards or what exactly you're supposed to do with them. But given that I'm not regularly awarded anything other than title of person with fattest tummy in the house, it was nice to get. You can see the image of my award on the side of my blog. It's girly. Pink with butterflies. So I like it. An apparently it means this:

"Blogs who receive this award are "exceedingly charming". This award is a fine one because it focuses not on the glory and fanfare of blogging, but in the PROXIMITY to one another through this online-world. "This blog invests and believes in the PROXIMITY--nearness in space, time and relationships. These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in prizes or self-aggrandizement! Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers! Deliver this award to eight bloggers who must choose eight more and include this clever-written text into into the body of their award."

I don't know if I can give it to 8 bloggers (because I should actually be working rather than reading blogs). But I will definitely give it to Katyboo whose blog makes me smile daily. And she's been kind to me behind the blog scenes. So Katyboo, please accept this award to bling up your blog.

Now, onto another matter. Chicken pox. We seem to have had several near misses with chicken pox but I do believe that our 3 year old has finally got the real thing. Either that or a very hungry flea has been eating him. I thought children who got chicken pox were supposed to be quite poorly before the spots came out. Our son wasn't. He did have an absolutely vile temper, demonstrated by throwing himself in a muddy puddle on a walk on Sunday and crying about very random things on Monday. But otherwise he was in perfect health.

Last night he came out in red spots and they have multiplied while he was sleeping. He desperately wanted it to be chicken pox so that he could stay at home and watch tv and eat his body weight in humzingers, instead of going to pre-school. So he told me: "It is definitely, absolutely chicken pox mummy, because the other day, I was bitten by some chickens." So it must be chicken pox, right?

This means I have been trying to work while every five minutes being summoned back downstairs so that I can:
- change the tv from Cbeebies to Peppa Pig video
- Change Peppa Pig to Harry & his bucket full of dinosaurs video
- help him go to the toilet
- open a babybel
- open a humzinger
- get him milk
- fix the dvd that's got stuck
- help him choose between Nemo and Madacasgar
- get him some malt loaf

You can tell it's been a productive morning, no?

And I have how many more days of this until the spots crust over? I will be putting him in the bath shortly with bicarb of soda which helps them get crusty in double time. I need to work. I have a greedy tax man to pay.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too cute! Bitten by some chickens? Adorable. At least you can tick that box.

Anonymous said...

Oh poor you. Neither I, nor any of my kids have ever had it. I hope we never do.
I agree,the being bitten by some chickens thing is an all time classic.

Anonymous said...

Poor wee man. I wish mine would get it over and done with. I'm sick of being put on pox alert or deliberately playing with spotty children in an attempt to infect my brood. Actually, I'm beginning to think my son may have already had it, only I was too busy to notice...

katyboo1 said...

Thank you so much for my award. I will do something fabulous with it shortly. Now I have to go and pick up children from school.

I may well bring Oscar over later though. He's the only one of mine who hasn't had Chicken Pox and I would quite like him to get it over and done with.

You are quite lucky really! Way better to get it now and over and done with while Peppa Pig is all he really needs.

Welsh Girl said...

Now I'm curious - what's a Humzinger?????

Home Office Mum said...

Thanks for the sympathies one and all. Today has been hell with spots. Lots of spots. And yelling. Not because he's poorly but because he's bored. And thinks he's poorly so can expect more sympathy. He didn't get it. He did get more humzingers than normal. Welsh - humzingers are tubes of mushed up dried fruit in shiny foil wrappers. They could be dessicated dog turd but the fact that they come in shiny foil wrappers makes them irrisistable to small boys.

nappy valley girl said...

Great post. We have chicken pox too at Nappy Valley towers (see my blog).

I've never been to yours before, but I work at home too, and also have children that love Madagascar and Finding Nemo. Perhaps we have something in common!

TheOnlineStylist said...

Ah the blessedness of the Humzinger! i discovered these when Small Child went through her (18 month long) I dont like fruit phase! She had The Pox just before her 1st birthday and was really ill with it. I had it at 14 and hid away from everyone incase I was spotted (pardon the pun). Other Half seems to have the miracle "Im escaping it" gene! Hope he's better soon!

Anonymous said...

Totally feel your pain with The Pox.
My two had it one after the other one January: the minute one was 'safe' the other one caught it. It basically meant hubby and I (and my mum and his mum) having to work out a tag team rota for keeping them off nursery for the best part of a month!

Many congrats on the award thought. That must have cheered you up!