Friday 30 January 2009

Naval gazing

This week (which was really only a 3 day working week as I was at an event all day Tuesday and was parent helper at pre-school today) I've written seven press releases. I got client coverage lined up in The Times, The Mail on Sunday, The Telegraph x 2, The Observer, BBC Points West, The Press Association and several parenting magazines. I got a new client. And potentially met someone who'd like to be a US affiliate for me. A successful week by all accounts. I am tired and in need of wine.

But more importantly - as blogged about here and here - I made the big decision to add more complexity to my life by trying out for a leg of an around the world yacht race. I now have a confirmed interview date. Next Friday. 6th Feb. I'm not sure how long after that they'll let me know whether I need to frantically start gaining upper body strength or whether I can revert to my more normal ninety pound weakling status (I'm nowhere close to be 90lbs but the weakling part is true).

My big challenge is 'what do I wear to the interview?' In essence, this is a job interview. That would normally call for a suit. However, as the job in question involves climbing up masts and scrubbing out heads, suits aren't really called for. Maybe I need to be wearing something suitably sailory. Like jeans, docksiders, a stripey shirt and a head scarf. But maybe that says I'm too casual and not taking it seriously enough. It definitely can't be girly. Ruffles and heels just aren't going to paint the right picture, is it? I have a week to decide...

Amazingly, it was less than a week ago that I saw the ad for this race. It seems like a lifetime ago. During this week I feel as though I've been tossed about at sea - already. What started as an 'imagine if' type moment, quickly became a
'let's investigate'
to
'I'm really keen'
to
'Shit I'm scared'
to
'But I really want it'
to
'But it's barking'
to
'So what'
to
'But it's soooooo much extra stress in your life'
to
'Sod it, send the application off'
to
'Wow, ok, this is really becoming quite real' (which is where I am about now.)

I apologise for blogging about this again. It is consuming all of my spare brain capacity - and believe me, there's not a lot of that available. I want to be able to write about other things that have happened this week - like capturing my sons on video beating the living daylights out of each other, or how we had no heat for most of this week as we ran out of oil and how typing with gloves on isn't an easy experience, or simply pondering the meaning of life. You know. Other stuff.

But I can't. From now till next Friday my world is going to revolve around 'what if'. And if it turns out that the answer is 'yes, yes madam, you can certainly climb aboard one of our fine vessels, paying £8k for the priviledge and toil your fingers to the bone while abandoning your children' - my whole world is going to turn into a very, very weird (and frenetic) place.

If however, they say, no sorry, you didn't make it on this time but please reapply in 2011, will my world feel a lot emptier all of a sudden?

My sister thinks I've done this because I need drama in my life. She thinks I felt my life was getting too normal (no new babies, new businesses or flooded houses on the horizon) so needed to shake it up. Maybe she's right. Maybe I am the ultimate drama queen, always in search of something more to create excitement, something to ensure every hour of every day is full. But is that such a bad thing?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gah, I've been searching all around your blog for a contact me email because I got all excited when I read this because you are me, or I am you.
You're doing my job! Or the job I will be doing once I stop all the researching and get some clients.
Just got very excited is all!

Oh and the interview, the dress code that is pretty much the answer to everything - smart casual. Just pay a visit to Gap and you're laughing!

Anonymous said...

Wow, lady you are on fire!!

I have been faffing a lot this week and haven't done my one set task towards getting a new client - and I only had 14 hours of work this week.

I think my biorhythms must be a bit dodgy at the mo..or maybe I'm just being a lazy cow!

Helen said...

You know what? I am so excited for you! If I were you, I am sure I would be in the same state...I agree with Tara@sticky fingers, smart casual. I think this will be a life changing experience, and think - what your kids will say later about their mum!! My mum?? she´s great - she left us with Daddy and crossed the ocean... just like that - she is cool!!

Coding Mamma (Tasha) said...

Sounds like a very productive week. I remember, for the all of three months when I was doing PR, what fun it was contacting papers and radio shows and having them agree to feature the book.

I also have a tendency to try to fill my days up, though not with drama. It's very difficult for me to be idle. I can't just sit and watch TV - I have to iron, blog, sew (actually, I almost never sew, but imagine it's something that could be done while watching TV), draw, tidy the living room/bedroom.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to be busy and keep some excitement in your life! Especially when you get to bring that excitement to us.

(And if you can get all that coverage for your client - you should be able to get it for you, as well, and get some revenue to send you on your way.)

Anonymous said...

I think it's a fabulous thing. It's what life is all about. You are supposed to live, to do the things that make you happy, to revel in new experiences. It's so exciting!

katyboo1 said...

Sou wester, pipe and giant Cap'n Birdseye beard. You'll slay em in the aisles.

Who cares why you want to do it. You want to do it. You're trying to do it. It's proactive, it's decisive. It's brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Friday, huh. I can't wait that long. Can they make it sooner?

You've been tagged! http://tinyurl.com/coz455

Anonymous said...

Dress code, hmmm. I agree you don't want to be too girly, so I think you will hit just the right note by dressing as a pirate. It's macho, shows a desire to win (treasure), and stripes are very flattering. Leave off the parrot though, in case they're allergic.

Home Office Mum said...

Tara - I'll email you tomorrow (following your email). And if I had a Gap anywhere near me I'd be there.

Part mummy - faffing is normally my thing. Obviously something weird in the water this week.

Helen - am not convinced my children will think I'm cool. I mentioned it in passing (without any detail) to my 5 year old and he was pretty categoric that I wasn't going anywhere without him.

Tasha - I think if I get this I'm going to have to work every contact I have to get publicity to raise the funds.

Ali - Glad you agree. I think it's fabulous, yet barking.

Katyboo - I have a friend with a Capn Birdseye beard - he could give me tips on how to look the part.

Modern mother - sadly I can't bring it forward. A whole week of agony. Will check out the tag in a minute

More than - I like the pirate thinking. Could borrow some of my children's dress up gear. Might be a bit on the small side but they'd know I am committed!